On Sunday Oct 29th we were privileged to welcome Eve Hebert, Martha Clark, Debbie Burr, Bonnie Swanson, Warren and Christine Wilcox who were received into the membership by Reaffirmation of Faith.
Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ is not just a title or a mere affiliation; it is a profound commitment and a joyful privilege. Those who embrace this calling embark on a journey that involves active participation in Christ's mission and a deep connection to their faith community.
Remember that people may enter into active church membership in the following ways:
Public profession of faith, after careful examination by the session in the meaning and responsibilities of membership.
Certificate of transfer, when a person is a member of another Christian church at the time of transfer.
Reaffirmation of faith, for persons previously baptized in the name of the triune God and having publicly, professed their faith.
Membership in the Church of Jesus Christ is a profound commitment, a joyful privilege, and an opportunity to make a meaningful impact on the world. Not only do you publicly profess your faith in Jesus christ and commit to the journey of discipleship, but also you hear the congregation committing to you. Through active participation in Christ's mission, as members we bear witness to God's love and grace, striving to create a better world for all while giving all the glory to God.
At its core, being a faithful member means bearing witness to God's boundless love and grace. It means promising to engage responsibly in the ministry of Christ's Church, making a positive impact on the world around us. Here are some key aspects of this sacred commitment:
1. Proclaiming the Good News: A faithful member shares the message of hope and redemption through both words and actions. This involves spreading the gospel through kind deeds and compassionate words.
2. Participating in Worship: Actively taking part in the common life and worship of a congregation fosters a sense of unity and spiritual growth within the community.
3. Supporting One Another: Members are called to lift each other up in prayer, extend mutual concern, and provide active support. This sense of togetherness creates a strong, nurturing environment.
4. Studying Scripture: The study of Scripture and exploration of Christian faith and life deepens one's understanding of God's teachings and strengthens their connection to the Church.
5. Giving of Resources: Supporting the ministry of the church with contributions of money, time, and talents enables its continued growth and outreach to those in need.
6. Demonstrating a New Quality of Life: Members strive to live a transformed and purposeful life within and through the church, reflecting the love of Christ in their actions.
7. Responding to God's Call: Recognizing God's activity in the world, members actively engage in service to others, embodying Christ's message of love and compassion.
8. Responsible Living: This commitment extends to personal, family, vocational, political, cultural, and social relationships, fostering values of responsibility, integrity, and compassion.
9. Working for a Better World: Members work towards peace, justice, freedom, and human fulfillment in the world, aligning their actions with Christ's teachings.
10. Caring for Creation: Stewardship of God's creation is vital, as members recognize the importance of preserving and nurturing the environment.
11. Governing Responsibilities: Active participation in the governing responsibilities of the church ensures its effective operation and spiritual growth.
12. Regular Self-Reflection: Members review and evaluate the integrity of their membership regularly, considering ways to deepen their participation in the worship and mission of the Church.